JavaScript: Reading/Writing to TextArea with "innerText"

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 5 16:21:57 BST 2007

> Hi!
> Am 06.06.2007 um 15:22 schrieb Maksim Orlovich:
>
> Sorry for this delay. I was a little bit busy..

No problem. I have a patch that fixes this:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=118141580921767&w=2

Though I didn't get a chance to commit it yet. Sorry, I probably should
have CC'd you. I think that this makes some of the stuff below moot.
Could you perhaps test that patch w/the app to make sure it fixes things?

>> So there are a couple of questions that need to be answered first:
>> a) Does changing the child text nodes reset the value? If so,
>> innerText
>> should not be changed, but HTMLFormElementImpl needs to work for child
>> changes, which would be rather tricky.
>
> I thought about this issue. But implementing it this way is beyond my
> knowledge about the implementation details. The interesting question
> is, how IE does it. Do they really change the child nodes? I don't know.

IE is bizzarre. The child nodes actually seem to even reflect what got
typed by the user. Actually, every browser does it differently, Opera is
probably the closest to your patch..