Patch: checkbox to enable/disable Access Keys activation

Juan Carlos Torres carlosdgtorres at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:15:47 GMT 2007

Greetings!

I guess most KDE users are familiar with the little yellow boxes that appear
whenever you press the Ctrl key while browsing a web page in Konqueror. What
most users are not familiar with is how to turn them off. It's one of those
Secret Config Settings, explained on this page:

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Secret+Config+Settings#_Disable_the_accessibility_squares_CTRL_button_normally_activates_in_Konqueror_aka_Access_Keys_

I decided to poke around (again) and added a checkbox in the Web Browser
settings to enable or disable the activation of Access Keys. There are two
places where Access Keys can be disabled, in Konqueror only or in all apps
apps using KHTML (Akregator, KTorrent, etc.). I decided to make the patch
affect all apps using KHTML so that it will be consistent.

Here's a screenshot of the checkbox:
http://jucato.org/stuff/kcontrol_accesskeys.png
(Usability guys are probably going to strangle me for adding another option to
an already full dialog.)

Pardon if there are errors. I'm not really a programmer (yet). Just a wannabe
who wants to scratch some itches.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Torres
--