Has khtml's future been decided?

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Sat Feb 17 04:13:14 GMT 2007

Le Jeudi 15 Février 2007 11:56, Lex Hider a écrit :
> My question is whether future efforts would still be best served in khtml
> bug triage? It seems like it would be a little futile to pour hours into
> khtml triage, if unity has already been decided to be the future course (or
> at least seems to be the most likely route KDE will be taking.)

There is no such decision, because there is no such thing as a happy-happy KDE
team working hand in hand with Apple on a common html engine.

There was at some point a plan to setup a neutral ground for Apple, KDE and
other corporations to work on an equal foot. That proposal was completely
dismissed : Apple is not interested.

Thus WebKit is, and will remain in the foreseable future, an external project
tightly controled by Apple Corp.

Now, either you believe Apple is run by philanthropists that dearly want KDE
to succeed. In which case you have no problem with the idea that KDE will not
ship an HTML engine anymore, and not innovate or compete in anyway in this
matter.

Or, you think the relevance of KDE as a desktop environment is very much tied
to its capacity to ship an integrated, slick, compatible, non-bureaucratic
HTML engine.

A no brainer, really.

Greetings,
Germain