KDE/kdelibs/khtml

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Feb 7 10:42:23 GMT 2007

On martedì 06 febbraio 2007, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007 schrieb Germain Garand:
> > > This would be a
> > > usability issue. Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- must always apply to the font size
> > > zoom, never to the page zoom by default.
> >
> > Probably but what makes you so peremptory about that?
> >
> > Opera uses it's zooming with ctrl++/ctrl+-, but I agree that it's less
> > invasive, as it's a mixed mode zoom that does attempt to fit-to-width
> > for a certain zoom range (I'm experimenting with that too).
>
> That must be new. My locally installed opera does full zoom.
>
> > Nevertheless I think zooming is best suited for ctr + mousewheel, where
> > zoom could be made to center on the node under mouse, making for a nice
> > instinctive zooming.
>
> The usability problem with full zoom is that one gets horizontal
> scrollbars very soon (especially on those 6pt default font size pages).
> So one has to scroll back and forth to read big enough but then too wide
> rows of text. Hence, for a web browser, font scaling can be considered to
> be the "natural" action to be issued for Ctrl++/- which tries hard to fit
> within the available viewport space.

Maybe. But one other common action is to work around those
annoying "designed for 800x600" pages (well "fixed" 800), to make them use
the screen space, instead of making you squeeze your eyes. So increasing
the font size only breaks the layout.

Well, the layout is broken anyway when using fonts other than Micrtosft
fonts...

Luciano

--
                                                            \\ //