KDE 3.5.7 and Beagle: file being deleted immediately after opening in kpdf

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Aug 27 12:27:21 BST 2007

On Saturday 25 August 2007 17:33:23 Frederik Himpe wrote:
> A Beagle developer analysed the problem a bit more in the above ticket and
> we have some more details. When Beagle indexes the downloaded pdf file, it
> writes some extended attributes to the file. Because KPDF watches the file
> with KDirWatch, this triggers kpdf's slotFileDirty() in kdegraphics/kpdf/
> part.cpp and makes it reload the file.

I do not agree with the analysis in the bug report that "it is ok to write
metadata to the file". If a file is downloaded, it should be left alone. Why
can't beagle write its data elsewhere? How would it index a read-only CD-ROM
full of PDF files?

The reload error is a second (distinct!) bug. My guess is that KPDF should not
destroy the view when the reload fails. Konq/KHTML has a similar bug where if
you load a page and click cancel you end up with a white window.

Josef