nspluginviewer priority on newer linux kernel

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Aug 16 21:35:42 BST 2007

Konrad Rzepecki wrote:
>I think the best solution is little modified my first idea.
> Nspluginviewer should run as normal process but not plugin specific
> threads. There should be a list of all threads and windows/widgets they
> are placed. Active window threads can have normal priority, threads
> which make some I/O low, and the rest lowest. Main thread can form time
> to time set required priorities according current focus and network
> traffic (plugin threads can set i.e. last I/O timestamp).

That's not implementable.

Do plugins inform nspluginviewer what they are doing? I mean, do they
inform "I am doing downloads" or "I am playing video"?

If they don't, there's no way to determine which processes to renice under
which level.

The only solution is to renice all non-visible nspluginviewers to the same
level.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358