nspluginviewer priority on newer linux kernel

Konrad Rzepecki hannibal at astral.lodz.pl
Tue Aug 14 01:51:12 BST 2007

   Hi

I have detected some problem witch cpu cycles starvation with nspluginviewer
(KDE 3.5.7) probably related with new CFS scheduler (kernel 2.6.23-rcX). So
there is much more cpu cycles given to higher prority task (i.e.
compilation). Default nice=15 is to low now. Even if I set nice of
compilation to 10 nsplugin is almost unusable. Setting to 15 cause to run ns
bad but acceptable. 16 is almost somooth but not ideal. With nice 20 set
compilation is OK.

Tested with youtube movies.

More experienced users probably detect problem and fix it by setting nice to
right levels. But beeginers will be confused, or may by even discouraged to
konqueror.

Setting ns... nice to 0 is also bad idea, because flash in nth of tabs running
at 100% cpu, will kill the system.

So I have idea, is possible to run plugins in active tab at nice 0 and others
at 15? This should reduce slowdown to minimum and keep cpu usage in resonable
level.

PS. My system may be is slow for present times (P4 1.8GHz), but this slowdown
shoudn't occur.

PS2. This can be something diffrent, but only change lately in my system was
kernel, and most suspected change in kernel is CFS scheduler, so on 95% this
is it.

--
  Konrad Rzepecki (Hannibal)