Konqueror 4

Lex Hider floss at lex.hider.name
Tue Oct 31 00:50:15 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 21:53, David Faure wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think I have come to a point where I'd like us to try and make a separate
> filemanager application, which we could even name dolphin if Peter agrees,
> as long as we share as much code as possible with konqueror the browser,
> and with the file dialog.

<SNIP>

> I'm happy to contribue to both parts of the work, of course.
> What do you think about this approach?

After my initial gut reaction against change, I would wholeheartedly support
the separation into filemanager/web-browser.

My main contribution to konqueror has been helping out with bug triage. I
think the cause of many bug reports and user confusion is due to konqueror
not having a well defined purpose.

As one commenter to dolphin on kde-apps.org put it:
"A big thumbs-up for Dolphin! I've wanted something like this for too long.
Konqueror is the swiss army knife where some tools refuse to slide in and
cause unpleasant things."

So like most long time users, I'm wary of change, but think it will be a long
term benefit, and I have confidence in the KDE developer's ability to make two
great apps without limiting the users ability to get things done.

Lex.