Konqueror 4

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Oct 28 14:42:40 BST 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 15:10, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > Well, you probably have to keep it at least for file management on
> > network shares.
>
> we did some basic user tests with benjamin's vista-like url bar, the gnome
> and mac style at akademy. really just very basic test, but it indicated
> that gnome's breadcrumb in combination with file bookmarks is extremely
> fast for navigation. still, it has issues for deep hierarchies.

It probably is, but on the average corporate network you're not going to
bookmark all the places that you need to be somewhen, that would become messy
really soon. Typing the URL (with the assistance of autocompletion) is often
by far the fastest way to get somewhere.

> but i agree with kevin that you shouldn't remove the editable url bar
> completely, but maybe hidden as gnome does it (one or two users needed to
> type at a point, can't remember the use case though...)

I know at least one: pasting URLs that get sent around by mail or that are in
documentation. At my work this is one of the most common ways of navigating
somewhere, the rest being split mostly between typing less-common URLs or
bookmarks. Actual browsing is by far the least common use case.

Ironically, at home it's exactly the opposite: I use no bookmarks, hardly
copy/paste, and most of the time I simply browse around.

Of course I'm not an average user, but the above shows that I use pretty much
all the possible ways of navigation that Konq offers.

--
Martijn

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups:
alcohol, cafeine, sugar, and fat. -Alex Levine