khtml for Jabber

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Mon Oct 2 11:28:05 BST 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 20:37, Francisco Joaquín Rodríguez Prados
wrote:
> On 17/09/06, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima at cirulla.net> wrote:
> > You may be interested in the konqueror embedded project (kdenox, in the
> > KDE SVN repository).
> >
> > While its main purpose is to offer a browser for embedded devices, it
> > reimplements the minimum subset of kdelibs needed to make the khtml
> > kpart useful on its own.
>
> Thanks for the hing. So could we get the code of konqueror embedded
> and deliver it with our application? Is it small enough to be
> considered as a library?

You'll have to adapt it, but it should work. The "adaptation" layer is not
very big, but the khtml library is statically linked to the executable, and
I think you would be better off with a separate library.

It works with Qt2 and Qt3 at the moment, and the Qt 4/KHTML 4 port has yet
to start.

> > Looking forward, anyway, why is it so important to work independantly
> > from kdelibs? With KDE4, it should be possible t rely on kdelibs on any
> > platform where Qt has been ported.
>
> Well, it is important to be indenpendent from KDElibs, as we don't
> want our users to depend on KDElibs to run Psi. This is maybe less
> important in linux, where you can easily get a fresh package of
> kdelibs in case you don't have them, but we have many Windows and OSX
> users, who won't probably want to install the hole libraries to use
> just a Jabber client.

Check out the Unity/WebKit things, then as George suggested.

--
                                                            \\ //