Suggestion for Konquerer developers and delivering "stripped" releases

Eike Hein kde at eikehein.com
Mon Nov 6 13:58:16 GMT 2006

OnThe Road wrote:
> Guys,
> I don't know what you are thinking, but if you have
> any hope at all of going mainstream, you need to come
> up with an alternate strategy for getting debug info.

I don't know what you are thinking, but if you have
any hope at all of being taken serious, you might want
to start using a real name on your emails and dropping
the condescension while you're at it.

> To get Konqueuer to crash, using (XUbuntu 6.06), just
> go to cnn.com, select the business button. That's it!
> Gone...every,.. single,.. time...

Doesn't crash here. 3.5.5 as released.

> Expecting a "main stream" (i.e. non-geek) user to get
> source, rebuild with debug options, install, just so
> they can send a backtrace is completely unrealistic.

True. We don't. You claim to be an experienced soft-
ware developer writing to a development mailing list,
however, so I definitely expect it of you. Where's
the backtrace, where's your bug report?

> If you are unreasonable and unwilling to do this, at
> least make a debug binary build available, that's the
> least I would expect.

KDE.org does not distribute binary packages, only
source code. Providing debug builds is your distri-
bution's job. Fortunately your distributuion does
a fine job of it, too: Debian/*buntu usually have
debug symbols in seperate '<package name>-dbg'
packages available.

> So, you are probably thinking, "why doesn't he
> volunteer to fix this?" well, the reason is: I WORK
> for a living, I work on this stuff 10-12 hours/day
> (including weekends). I don't have time to debug other
> people's shitty software.

And yet you have time to write this email. Some
people talk, some people do. You talk, I guess.

> I also spend about 35% of my dev time writing just the
> unit tests, do you?

KHTML/KJS have a comprehensive regression testing suite.

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein at kde.org