Konqueror FTP TEXT MODE

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Nov 6 13:33:04 GMT 2006

On Mon Nov 6 2006, you wrote:
> And what do you think about: ftp://joe@ftp.heaven.af.mil/report;type=a? (stolen from http://cr.yp.to/ftp/browsing.html)

That's a solution that makes sense with command-line tools like "kfmclient copy"
and when supplying a URL to an application directly (e.g. "kate <url>").

It doesn't solve the full problem of using konqueror to list a directory and drag-n-drop'ing
stuff out of there, but at least if we assume some way of marking text files as such, then
konqueror can provide the information that a file is text in the URL and anything done with
that file will be done in text mode then (opening with any editor or copying in konqueror).

I would have used a http query instead of a semicolon though; a "?" in a filename
gets escaped whereas a ";" in a filename would be valid. And we have support in KUrl
for query items. So I would have used ftp://joe@ftp.heaven.af.mil/report?type=a
I wonder how "standard" in browsers is the ";type=a" notation though, this should be
tested with other browsers first.