Konqueror 4

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at kde.org
Thu Nov 2 17:10:53 GMT 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:55, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 6:00, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > not completely.
>
> do you have a written summary of discovery i could reflect on rather than
> the mental notes i have from conversations i managed with people i could
> corner on irc? =)

no sorry, it was all informal feedback to benjamin. but i'll try to find some
time next week to write things down.

> > the end of the dolphin breadcrumb disappears when you click
> > on a previous folder in the hierarchy. the gnome remains. that has the
> > advantage that you can quickly get back to the original folder when you
> > just wanted to check something on a lower level. showed to be very useful
> > in the tests.
>
> were there any issues with recognition of actual location in this case?
no, there weren't (but keep in mind that we only tested 3 people).

> hm ... i wonder if it would make sense to show the end buttons in
> a 'non-active' state; this is something the GNOME widget does not do and
> it's very annoying.
but won't users then assume it's disabled and not clickable? i agree they may
be marked in a different way, but it must also be visually distinct from
disabled.

> in fact, i just got lost now when i clicked on the
> "show all the url" button which took me to / even though the breadcrumb
> still shows Home Aseigo Desktop ... arg.
yeah, that's odd...

> and perhaps these exta buttons should go away completely when any other
> action is triggered, including a mouse-over triggered file preview? or is
> that part of "wanting to check something"?
i think they should stay until the user selects another folder.

> what, particularly, were people wanting to check? if it is "what other
> navigation options were there" that seems to be handled pretty well by the
> drop downs on the buttons in dolphin, though i do need more test subjects
> to confirm that particular finding.
yes, in the test they checked for other navigation options.
i haven't discovered these drop-downs yet - are they implemented in version
0.7?
in our test, benjamin had vista-like drop-downs which did not work well. the
users got confused if they should look for subfolders in front of or after
the label of a given folder, and didn't use it.

cheers,
/el

--
Ellen Reitmayr