Konqueror 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 2 15:42:33 GMT 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 2:31, Martin Konold wrote:
> Just to reasure you: I personally indeed felt confused when I tried it. In
> additon I was never sure if I see the whole picture or if some "smart"
> developer is hinding things (like the infameous hinding of /tmp/ im
> kubuntu).

heh .. what, don't trust the developers? ;)

btw, i started the usability testing with Real Life Users as of last night. i
have been testing all the issues raised in this list (as much as possible
anyways) including repeating fragments, switching to editable and back to BC
(and discoverability of those features/functions), navigating
up/down/sideways/up+sideways, comparing performance to hand editing ... so
far it's working very well, particularly for those who aren't familiar with
concepts like $HOME (more on that below)

i have quite a few notes about the usability of dolphin (also covering some of
the other concepts in it such as the info side bar) but need to do at least
another half dozen or so tests. i'm heading to a local coffee shop today to
see if i can find some more random people.

btw, if you ever want an exercise in frustration, try usability testing
sometime. having to sit there calmly without offering input while the test
subject does the most amazingly unexpected things while explaining why they
are doing that with the oddest (to a techie) streams of 'logic' is ....
trying. =) it's also very eye opening and while it is a bit hard on the
patience and even ego (if you're testing stuff you wrote) it certainly helps
me understand a lot better the needs of people who will hopefully one day use
this stuff. anyways, enough ramble: on to the meat of the subject.

> As the web matured and turned more and more into web applications things
> became broken. The more modern web applications have "state". This
> statefulness of the web was not intended by the very early design of the
> web. Due to the statefulness using the back button become dangerous.

we have an analogous situation with the explosion of hot plug storage and
networked resources on the desktop. i'd personally like to experiment with
features like "if the user is browsing their usb key and then moves to
another area in the file system, note this and automatically cause a fs sync"
which would help make "safe unmounting" buttons less necessary

> Last but not least URLs cannot be arbitrarily translated and localized.

this is true with /home/konold as well. /home is english and not translatable.
the first button in the filemanager BC when viewing $HOME (even if it isn't
in /home) is i18n("Home"). ditto for protocols like remote://. see, same
issues =)

> - Navigation can be controlled by the server as opposed to fiddling with
> the URL manually which simply does not work anymore.

which is what we have with system:/, remote:/, media:/ etc ... and those came
into being because the URLs for file systems were becoming beyond the reach
of mere mortal computer users.

> - users don't need the back button anymore

in my usability testing i'm turning off the toolbar for part of it to force
usage of the BC and nobody is complaining about a "back" button even though
its used when the toolbar is visible. there have been requests for "up"
though. so again, similar sorts of gains.

> - applications which are technically a complicated mesh (due to the links)
> can be presented to the user like a simpler hirarchical structure.
> Hirarchical structures are easier to navigate and understandable compared
> to the more complex mesh structure.

i agree with kevin here that our file systems have become mesh like, though
not in a "this links to that" way. when we have network attached storage,
digital cameras, usb pens, fish://, $HOME and $TMP ... we have a swarm of
concepts that create a large "netting" of paths; unfortunately those paths
are not consistent across platforms nor are they consistent with the concepts
(e.g. $HOME might be /home/aseigo but $TMP may
be /home/aseigo/.kde/tmp-hostname which is a symlink to /tmp/kde-aseigo/. oi
vey!)

> Summary
> =======
>
> Breadcrumbs got developed in order to improve the usability of web
> applications. In general BC are successful for websites which are unable to
> provide a proper URL or which habe problems with the back button due to
> statefulness.

we have similar challenges, don't you think? you are right that they are not
identical but they are similar from a complexity and user-understandability
point of view.

> E.g. it is possible to directly click on "Systems" in the above example.

just as it possible to directly click on i18n("Home") =)

> BUT
> ===
>
> A traditional filesystem like on an USB stick or on a ftp server is
> _already_ hirarchical. Up and Back Actions are _well_ defined in
> traditional filesystems. (Yes there are also unidirectional links in unix
> filesystems). Offering a proper URL/path is trivial with filesystems.

it's not about linkage, it's about layout and dynamic setups.

> The usability gains from BC as known from web applications don't apply for
> filesystems as the problem that the web moved away from the filesystem
> structure does not exist for filesystems!

true. we have other challenges. like how users don't understand URLs
fish://aseigo@bddf.ca/home/aseigo =)

> Conclusion: BC are a big improvement for web applications but for
> filesystem "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and don't "improve for the
> worse".

if we use BCs it will be predicated on being able to prove it improves things
for the better.

and as much as it is probably mystifying to most people on this list, editable
url bars are quite broken for anyone who isn't technically advanced because
urls are very inhumane. i've never had problems with them, but i can't deny
the feedback i and others receive consistently from real world usage
scenarios on this point.

> Aaron: I hope it is not too frustrating for to read this.

not at all ... this thread has added a number of testing points to the
usability tests i'm running and is helping me understand what are the main
points of contention for those used to traditional editable urls. this in
turn helps me understand what the BCs should avoid and should implement, as
well as what needs to be clearly communicated to our community if we do move
to BCs in the filemanager.

IOW, it's been (and continues to be) quite useful for me as a developer.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se