Konqueror 4

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at kde.org
Thu Nov 2 13:00:01 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 00:28, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 30 October 2006 7:26, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 October 2006 01:20, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >  - navigation (breadcrumbing, drop zones, integrated search)
> >
> > Nice idea, but I don't see any reason to replace the locationbar.
> > Typing in a location is the fastest way to get to place
>
> this is not true in all use cases. it's only guarantee-ably true when:
>
>  - the user is descending (upwards and sideways navigation is often slower)
>  - the user knows where they are going
>
> there have been usability studies done on these things, though primarily
> (exclusively?) in the web sphere. i have yet to read one that actually
> found them flawed; all i've come across online note they are beneficial,
> though that benefit is impacted by positioning.
>
> there was also some usability testing done on such a widget at dublin. the
> weaknesses found there are currently avoided by the dolphin implementation,
> as i understand it.

not completely. the end of the dolphin breadcrumb disappears when you click on
a previous folder in the hierarchy. the gnome remains. that has the advantage
that you can quickly get back to the original folder when you just wanted to
check something on a lower level. showed to be very useful in the tests.

the other issue were deep hierarchies -> but aaron already addresses that.

/el

--
Ellen Reitmayr
KDE Usability Project