Konqueror 4

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Wed Nov 1 19:15:17 GMT 2006

Am Mittwoch, 1. November 2006 17:04 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:

Hi Aaron,

thanks for provinging the screenshots.

> > I find Gnome bread crumbs very restrictive and annoying most of
> > the time.  And it takes up too much screen space.

How shall the bread crumb implementation deal with deeply nested structures?

> we're not implementing "Gnome bread crumbs". see the attached screenshot
> for konqi's bar

> than it really is), dolphin's url navigator and gome's bread crumbs. to me
> it's evident which is more compact, readable and elegant.

> (this is so reminiscent of the whole usability discussion in kde back in
> the 2.2-3.0 days. the conversation would generally go something like: "we
> don't like how gnome did usability therefore usability is bad and the only
> reason you must be wanting to do this is to be like gnome." seriously.)

Sorry but this bread crumb stuff is butt ugly.

It took me a while to figure out why I intuitivly don't like it an I actually
found out that breadcrumbs are violating(*) the semantics og buttons.

(*) The semantics of buttons is that their meaning is independent from their
position withing a button bar. Only the icon determines which action is
associated with a button. Bread crumbs on the other hand violate this and are
therefore confusing. E.g.

Imaginge /tmp/foo/bar/tmp/foo would lead to

[tmp][foo}[bar}[tmp}[foo}

So you end up with two buttons labled "tmp" and two buttons labled "foo".
Having multiple clickable buttons with identical labels is _very_ bad from a
usability standpoint.

Yours,
-- martin

--