Konqueror 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 1 16:04:25 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 18:22, Michael S. Mikowski wrote:
> In sum, I like Konqueror very much.  It is the first thing I show off to
> people who are considering moving from Gnome to KDE.  We open up 3 panes
> using multiple transports, -- say Samba, sftp, local disk -- and then move
> files between them and preview their contents in each.  Very compelling.

and none of this will be lost, save -maybe- for the "more than 2 panes" thing.
do you ever actually use more than 2 panes for work or is that something you
do only for demos?

> I don't see a need for a separate application for file management.  Maybe a
> cleaning up of menus for Konqueror, but a separate application seems like
> overkill.

it's a slightly different view from the code ...

> I find Gnome bread crumbs very restrictive and annoying most of
> the time.  And it takes up too much screen space.

we're not implementing "Gnome bread crumbs". see the attached screenshot for
konqi's bar (i've removed the clear button so it's actually cleaner than it
really is), dolphin's url navigator and gome's bread crumbs. to me it's
evident which is more compact, readable and elegant. the traditional editable
bar is more compact, but the url navigator is more readable, looks better and
is reasonably compact at the same time.

when switching between editable bar and navigator in dolphin, there is ~25px
difference in the widget's used width when
viewing "/home/aseigo/pix/me/columbus05/" on my laptop. the navigator is also
immensely more readable; i find myself squinting at paths a lot less due to
the extra bits of space.

(this is so reminiscent of the whole usability discussion in kde back in the
2.2-3.0 days. the conversation would generally go something like: "we don't
like how gnome did usability therefore usability is bad and the only reason
you must be wanting to do this is to be like gnome." seriously.)

> The only benefit to breadcrumbs is navigating back up the tree.

didn't we just have this discussion? =)

> URL could be parsed and highlighted in a manner, e.g.:
>
> /usr/local/bin
>
> Then one could click on the space under, for example, /usr, and be moved to
> that directory.

use more vertical space, which there is generally less of on most screens
(doubly so with "widescreen" displays), and provide a cryptic interface
element under the url? well, i'd be happy to try it out if someone does up an
implementation but i'm sceptical based on the above.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se