Konqueror 4

Mark Rose kde at markrose.ca
Wed Nov 1 02:50:50 GMT 2006

> One point I have thought of is the effect of the split on existing users.
> Do existing users associate the name konqueror with the web browser
> component more strongly than the file manager, or vice versa?
>
> Should the web browser get a new name and the file manager be called
> konqueror?
> Should the file manager get a new name and web browser be called konqueror?
> Would it be less confusing to have two new names, neither of them
> konqueror? Would that mean we lose a lot of brand recognition?
>
> I know this isn't exactly a pressing point at this stage, but something to
> think about.
>
> Lex.

From just about every colloquial mention of Konqueror I've seen, people are
using it to refer to the web browser. I don't think that people see the file
manager as a separate program -- just like people don't think Windows
Explorer is a program -- but that the manager is just part of the KDE
environment. There are a lot of KDE users that use Firefox browser, but don't
consider using a different file management program. I suppose the one
exception to this is MacOS's Finder -- but in that case it's the paradigm of
KDE being part of a Linux (or BSD, etc.) system.

Mark