Konqueror slow with bigger images

Hasso Tepper hasso at kde.org
Thu May 18 10:56:41 BST 2006

I hear more and more complaints from users that Konqueror is awfully slow
on webpages with some images. Indeed I can reproduce this on all my
computers. For good example look at screenshots in
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=10187

With two first screenshots Konqueror is awfully slow - it takes several
seconds to render window again after resize, scrolling is slow etc. But
third screenshot appears instantly, no any slowdowns with resizing or
scrolling. Point seems to be that first two screenshots are RGBA images,
but third one is RGB.

But what's strange that problem doesn't appear for all users. Some users
say that they don't see any slowdown. There are users who say that
problem appreared for them after SuSE 10.0 -> 10.1 upgrade, while for
others there is no problem etc.

Is it known problem? What is causing this? Is there any workaround?

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper
KDE Estonian Team