Summer of Code idea: improve khtml zoom function

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Fri May 5 15:59:03 BST 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 16:25, Fela Winkelmolen wrote:

> > > The idea is to make the renderer be able to zoom in three different
> > > ways: - fast zooming (ugly), possibly using the zooming code that
> > > should already be somewhere to zoom images where the size is
> > > specified in the html code, using fast zooming algorithms to scale
> > > the images - smooth zooming (slow), using some other, more
> > > sophisticated image zooming code (I saw showFoto scales images
> > > nicely, for example) - zoom text only (fastest).
> >
> > I don't think this is needed. KHTML already uses smooth scaling for the
> > images anyways.
>
> Yes? I've checked and showFoto scales the images much more nicely that
> khtml (unless it has changed since v3.5.2). But I think it uses a slower
> algorithm.

I thought you were interested in implementing simpler scaling.

Well, if I remember correctly, KHTML uses Qt smooth scaling - that is, it
does not simply decimate pixels. There may be space for improvement,
obviously, but it's always a compromise between speed and quality...

I have checked the KDE4 tree just now, and the KHTML image handling has
changed quite a bit from KDE 3.5. I don't know if it needs further work.

In bocca al lupo,
Luciano

--
Łŭčīåñø Montanaro //