[RFC] Icons for: Tab functions

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 22 07:43:38 GMT 2006

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I found that we do not have a: "tab_close_other" this is needed if both
> "Close Tab" & Close Other Tab" are on a toolbar.  It is important that
> they be easy to distinguish from each other even at 16x16 pixels.
>
> I also noticed that we have an icon: "tab_new_bg" (at least in
> KDEClassic) but it is not being used.
>
> I have made revised and new icons:
>
>     tab_close
>     tab_close_other
>     tab_new
>     tab_new_bg
>
> for both HiColor (KDEClassic) and CryatalSVG.
>
> These are available here:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/pics/Tab-Pics.tar.bz2
>
> I also notice that we currently have only 16x16 icons for these 4
> functions (and some others).  This is OK for menu use but if they are
> placed on toolbars, we also need 22x22 and 32x32.  Perhaps we also need
> SVG.
>
> I will also be posting two patches (KDELibs & KDEBase) to use the
> "tab_close_other" and "tab_new_bg" as soon as I finish testing them
> (later today if they work OK).

Well it is still today in MST (GMT-7).  I applied the two patches to
KDE-3.5 branch and they compiled and worked.

First the kde base patch changes the icon for "Close Other Tabs" to the
new icon "tab_close_other".

Then there are three places where you can right click and choose to open
in a new tab:

	on a link: "Open in New Tab"
	on a bookmark: "Open in New Tab"
	in a frame: "Frame -> Open in New Tab"

and also where you can open a bookmark folder in tabs:

	on a bookmark folder: "Open Folder in Tabs"

In these places either "tab_new" or "tab_new_bg" will be displayed
depending on whether you have configured Konqueror to open the new tabs
in the foreground or the background.

--
JRT