Enhancing Konqueror

Charles A. Landemaine landemaine at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 22:16:26 GMT 2006

None of these options are default. I'm using KDE 3.5.1.

> >  - A Wand: Click a wand icon, and Konqueror auto-fills for you the
> > form with your login and password and submits the form automatically
> > (pretty neat)
> Since KDE 3.2, using kwallet, by default.

Kwallet is an external password manager. I mean an icon that you click
and Konqueror would fill out the form + submit the information for you
automatically (A whole lot different and faster).

> >  - A Google/Wikipedia search field next to the location bar such as in
> > Opera or Firefox.
> Useless (use the web shortcuts in the adress bar : gg, wp...), but available
> since KDE 3.4, by default.

Only you and me know about these shortcuts, but regular users will
find more useful and intuitive a search field. I personnally never use
shortcuts to search on Google, I use the search field.

> >  - Make the .html handled by default by Konqueror so that when you
> > click a link, the page doesn't load in Kate.
> ?
> Since KDE ... 2 ? by default.

I'm using FreeBSD/KDE, and new pages open in Kate (Not cool at all!).
I had to tweak the options to have Konqueror handle .html MIME type as
default.

> >  - A Session-saver: You can save the current session with the open
> > tabs, and re-open these tabs later on. Also you can auto-save current
> > session on exit so that if you close Konqueror and re-open it, you
> > don't loose the last pages you visited
> Don't know

At least it already works as long as you don't close Konqueror when
you log out from KDE. When you come back, your tabs are still open in
Konqueror. But when you close Konqueror, you shouldn't loose them.

> >  - Use more cache memory: When you hit "Back" or "Forward", Konqueror
> > doesn't need to reload the pages. Just reload from cache, and it
> > becomes as fast as Opera.
> It's not that easy.

This is of utmost importance. Only IE and Konqueror still reload the
page when you hit the "Back" button.

> >  - Close tab button should be on the tab (on the right), and not in
> > the corner, it's more convenient
> Why ? It takes more room...

Because the tab is highlighted, and it's easier to find it and close
it. Moving the mouse to the upper-right corner is a pain.

> >  - Web site icon should be on the tab on the right
> Why ? It's illogical: icons are on the left in any KDE app, why does konqueror
> needs a different behaviour ?

I'm talking about the web site icon, not the application icon.

> >  - New tab button
> I don't know

Because most people don't know about the Ctrl-T shortcut, or aren't
comfortable with it. Opera has it.

> >  - Open new windows in new tabs
> Available since KDE 3.3

Nope, unless you define it in the settings. Here it opens new windows
in a new Konqueror window.

> >  - Default smart pop up blocker
> Since KDE 3.5

There is still a plethora of popups that Konqueror doesn't block.

> >  - Home URL should be blank
> It's only your settings !

Since the beginning I'm referring to default settings.

> >  - Mouse gestures like Opera (I'm missing them so much)
> Available in ANY KDE app since KDE 3.2. Look at khotkeys. by default.

Please give me the link to a tutorial to learn how to use mouse
gestures in Konqueror to go back, forward, reload, open a new tab,
etc...

> >  - Activate previous used tab when closing the current tab
> Since KDE 3.4

Not working here on a fresh installation.

> >  - Web shortcuts: add 'g' for Google, add also 'pbi' to look for
> > applications on the PBIDir
> Since before KDE 3.3, by default.

The "g" shortcut doesn't work here.

> >  - Use cache whenever possible
> Configurable since before KDE 3.1, by default.

Talking about default settings.

> >  - Dock the download manager into Konqueror (having the download
> > manager poping up is extremely annoying).
> Not available

This was my point.

> >  - Switch user-agent for current page (for web sites that reject Konqueror)
> Available since KDE 3.2, by default.

How do I do it (beside in settings) ?

> >  - Support for AJAX version of Gmail:
> > http://mail.google.com/mail/?nocheckbrowser
> Available since KDE 3.4 (or 3.5 ?)
> Only switch user agent to mozilla, and insult google BTW...

Ok, I tried one more time. I'm using Konqueror 3.5.1. The AJAX version
of Gmail does appear when identified as Mozilla, without the notorious
Gmail warning on top, but clicking the links doesn't work at all.
Can't read any e-mail.

--
Charles A. Landemaine.