making fallback access keys configurable

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Fri Mar 3 14:57:13 GMT 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 10:16, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> * Requiring the user to press the Ctrl key twice, or to hold down the key
> for a longer time, would clash with the accessibility keyboard settings.
> This is especially true if combined with a timeout. Remember that severely
> impaired users are among those who use accesskeys, and they are typically
> much slower in handling the keyboard.

I was simply showing the double ctrl-key idea as a concept to see if those who
were addicted to the access key feature thought it a worthwhile/useable
change. I was hoping some people might actually try it. The intention was to
actually have a working example of an alternative rather than simply a 30
mail argument of "I like it" "I hate it posts".

You are correct it would/could clash with accessibility settings, however
there's no reason it couldn't be modified to have behaviour that takes those
settings into account. On the other hand I'm not going to spend several hours
writing a complete solution that takes accessibility settings into account if
noone likes the idea.

Regards,
--
Ivor Hewitt.