AW: AW: AW: AW: making fallback access keys configurable

Tobias Anton tobias at ke.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Mar 1 15:59:01 GMT 2006

You could as well be of the opinion that ctrl is just a key as every other
and should be treated as such. Unfortunately, too much key handling is
hardcoded in QT, making it hard to impossible to change certain behaviours.

I think the idea behind the usage pattern "press ctrl once to make shortcuts
appear, press it again to make them disappear" initially was to use ctrl
like a modifier, i.e. "show shortcuts as long as ctrl is pressed", but then
it became obvious that holding down ctrl while reading the accesskeys is
very inconvenient. To keep that paradigm, yet removing the annoyance, a
possible solution could thus be:
- show the accesskey tooltips on Ctrl press
- hide accesskey tooltips on Ctrl release if any other UI event had occurred
since the corresponding Ctrl press.
- otherwise, show tooltips until any key or mouse button changes status.

Unfortunately, this will not work properly if the window manager dispatches
all UI events between the ctrl-down and the following ctrl-up to another
application. I think this is exactly what happens in your case, but most
probably there is a solution for that, too. Particularly, I am thinking of
something like the X11 window leave events, but I'm not too deep into the
details of X11 event handling.

Cheers
Tobias