RFC: KHTML "modular" build

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jul 20 10:17:25 BST 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 10:44, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Monday 17 July 2006 00:14, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> > Attached is a patch to make khtml build in pieces. It breaks all the
> > subdirs (but for ecma right now) into static libs and then uses those
> > to build khtml. I wanted to ask you all whether you thought this was a
> > good idea.. I mainly did it because I was sick of rebuilding all of
> > khtml every time I made a small change in my soc project under
> > ecma/debugger, but I have talked to people who think the A) longer
> > link times B) reverting to autotools-like behavior here, are unwanted
> > sideeffects of this change. Anyway, let me know what you all think.
> >
> I think it's excellent. Probably will help the cmake-times as well.

I don't understand how it can possibly help. Rebuilding a .a is not enough,
one needs to relink the .so that uses it anyway. So in all cases one needs
to go up to the khtml level and type make there, and it has to relink libkhtml.so,
just like it would have to do if using .o files instead of .a - so what do we gain?