CAD

Brian cabernet at webshield.net.au
Sun Jan 29 21:33:56 GMT 2006

Not subscribed.

Currently using Konq 3.5 on Suse 9.2 and 10

My thoughts on CAD on the Linux Platform.

The CAD industry is stuck with it's head up its collective backside. What
more can you say ? They have incredible beligerence in supporting
alternative platforms and seem to be colluding to keep others out. Why
else is it so difficult to view our CAD files on our Linux boxen ?

Is it possible for us to improve Knoquerors handling of CAD files ? For
example could we develop a series of good icons to represent established
file formats like Autocad, Solid Works, IGES, STEP, ..... and others. This
would enable us to quickly identify CAD files and display them in a nice
konqueror window.

The Open DWG Alliance does have a linux product to view CAD files. It has
a very onerous membership, requiring signed documents etc, before members
can download libraries for their lx-viewer. Does KDE or Konq have any
incorporated bodies that could apply for and use these libraries to
display Autocad files ? Membership is free.

CAD is only on of several big software industries that Konqueror will
encounter. Needless to say they have thousands of lisences generating many
thousands of files daily. It would be an important step for Konqueror to
incorporate some ideas for recognising CAD files in a more formal way.