some comments on the konqy usability report

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Mon Jan 2 14:40:48 GMT 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 14:51, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 02 January 2006 01:34, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
>
> > Is there some feature of the tree view that can be hard to use (and to
> > get accustomed to) for beginners? I'm not too familiar with other
> > operating systems, but I think the old MacOs "Finder" had a similar
> > view, and if it is an interface already learned by our potential users
> > I think it would be useful to keeo it.
>
> I found the feature of the tree view to expand the directories always a
> bit strange. In the other views you always see the contents of one
> directory, in this mode you can see the contents of multiple directories.

Well, sure. That's actually the reason I use this view. But while it is
unique between konqueror views, its behaviour is used in other KDE
applications. For example, the Amarok collection view is very similar to
that.

> Back then in 2000 I implemented the TextView and I still use and prefer
> it over the other ones.

Can you explain why? Is it because it is faster, or for the color-coding
of the contents, or is there anything else?

As I said, I normally use the "normal" icon view the tree view, and the
specialized views. I don't use the other variations of the icon/list views,
so I may be missing something.

I think it would be useful to clarify between ourselves what's good in each
view (and maybe check out other file managers out there) and take the best
things of each to "distill" in, I'd say, two main filemanager views.

> So I'd say both should be kept, but IMO moved to the "advanced" views.

That would be ok with me, too.

Again, what about the "Multicolumn icon view"? Is there anybody using it at
all? Trying it I have found out that it reserves little horizontal space
for file names. For example, it splits "Documents" in two lines on my home
computer, where I probably use a slightly larger font than the default.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //
              \\ //