AW: AW: AW: making fallback access keys configurable

Tobias Anton tobias at ke.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Feb 28 23:50:52 GMT 2006

> revert is a slightly strong word given the patch.
Yeah ok.

> >  Wouldn't it perhaps
> >  suffice for you to simply disable accesskeys in your config?
>
> this is what i usually do for things that i personally don't like
> but can understand the reasoning for.

You don't sound like you want to have it explained, though.

> perhaps i really am out to lunch on this one,
> but i can't see how most people would like to have
> their page suddenly occluded by 100s of little yellow tags
> (i can't even read the bloody links on the pages when they
> show up often!) whenever they press CTRL.
Provided that this is not surprising to the user and can be easily undone, I
really don't see any problem with this. The fact that it can interrupt you
e.g. when entering text, however, is annoying indeed. So let's try to
separate the bug from the feature: How and why exactly does it disturb you?
Maybe if triggering the accesskey would be restricted to certain sensible
special cases?

> i've heard many people complain about them; it wasn't
> until i sent the patch to this list that i heard people
> singing its praises. funny that. or perhaps not.
I'm just surprised that - once again - topics are rolled up again that have
been discussed long ago. At that time, nobody complained.

> too much UI *crap* gets put into KDE apps,
> usually simply because nobody asks or nobody looks.

Right. Nobody notices, so the contributors assume it's ok. Changing the
default back to the old behaviour after the second next major release is not
a solution IMHO but actually imposes a new problem on those who have already
adapted. Let's not forget about them.

Tobias