Interesting thing with DNS requests

Fredrik Johansson fredrik at mumme.se
Thu Dec 7 18:52:52 GMT 2006

torsdag 07 december 2006 19:17 skrev Thiago Macieira:

> >> It does. DNS works perfectly in that aspect. The nameserver caches the
> >> reply, but unfortunately it doesn't cache a no-reply for a field. I
> >> don't know if nscd does.
> >
> >Well given that the DNS packets fell from 656 to 176 by setting
> > KDE_NO_IPV6 are you sure it is working? (Perhaps that was what you
> > meant by the glibc bug)
>
> Yes, it's working perfectly. The extra lookups are the IPv6 lookups that
> you disabled.
>
> But, like I said, the thing is that no caching demon I know caches an
> empty reply. They cache replies with records and they cache negative
> replies. But they don't cache empty replies -- which is what the IPv6
> replies are.
>
> You want to contact the maintainers of nscd and of named to request that
> feature.

Hum sorry I sort of missunderstood you
I thought you meant that KDE_IO would figure out that IPv6 was a no go and
stopped trying IPv6. But apparently you meant a caching daemon that I didn't
have.

I get the idea now, thank you for your time and patiance.

But somehow I don't think KDE can expect all users to figure out for themselfs
that they need DNS caching demon if KDE's browser is multiple times slower
than another browser in the same environment.
They will just blame the browser for being slow and stop to use it.

Note: I am not trying to start a flame war, just give constructive critics
back.

Regards
Fredrik Johansson