developing plugins - newbie help needed

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 09:59:36 BST 2006

Henrique Pinto wrote:
> Take a look at the desktop file for the Ark plugin:
> Please check if the ServiceTypes and X-KDE-Library entries are correct.

Thanks a lot!
You were absolutely right, things looked wrong.

I removed Exec and Icon from src/blah.desktop, changed Type to Service
and added X-KDE-Library and ServiceTypes and ran "make install" which
installed the .desktop file to /usr/kde/3.5/share/services/.

I assume that:
  X-KDE-Library must be the .so name without .so,
  Type must be "Service" and
  ServiceTypes must be "KonqPopupMenu/Plugin,all/all",

where I'm guessing that "all/all" is a pseudo-mimetype that matches
all files and folders (local or remote).

It doesn't work yet though.
After restarting KDE, there is no extra menu item and the printf I
inserted doesn't pop up...

Any other suggestions?
Is there any way to debug what KDE does when loading services?