konqy and the model-view-concept in the dirviews

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Apr 30 21:38:45 BST 2006

Hi,

in KDE 2 and 3 konqy each dir views in konqy does the directory listing
itself. Konqy knows only about the current url (i.e. the directory) of each
view.
Would it make sense to refactor this with Qt4 so that konqy does the directory
listing and the views really only display the result ?
E.g. when viewing a directory and then viewing a file in this directory, as it
is now a new kpart is loaded and the status of the dir view is lost. When
going back from the file view to the dir view the directory has to be read in
again. But the information which files was just viewed is gone. I think
having a "current directory" and a "current url" (which will be equal if the
current url is a dir) and a list of the contents of the "current dir" might
make some things easier.
It is currently also not possible to do a "go to next file" while viewing a
file, because at this time the next file is not know (it was known when the
dir view was still active).

It's not as if I would have time to start working on this now, I'd just like
to exchange some thoughts on this.

Bye
Alex