[mdione at grulic.org.ar: khtml password storage]

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Sep 26 14:14:05 BST 2005

On Saturday 24 September 2005 12:15, Marcos Dione wrote:
>     I was planing to hack a little new feature for khtml, namely, the
> ability to store passwords not only per url but also per site, when I
> noticed that one can store the password for the url or avoid storing the
> password for the entire site! I think it would be great to be able to both
> store or avoid storing both per url and per site. I checked the code and
> realized the changes won't be as simple as I (almost literally) dreamed, so
> before getting my hands dirty, I prefered to discuss it. so, what do you
> think?

   A few comments:

There is a bug open for this already.  It's not entirely simple, especially to
prevent sites from stealing passwords from this.  You need to be very
careful.  The support for "wildcard matching" is already in progress or
possibly completed (I forget right now) in the KWallet backend, and that
would be the right thing to use for KHTML.  However the trick is providing a
nice UI for it.  I would have implemented something already if it weren't so
difficult to make a nice UI, and also make it crash-proof.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/