Support for XML Namespace in Konqueror

Niels Leenheer niels.leenheer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 13:11:06 BST 2005

> Hi,
>
>  I don't know if this is the right mailing list for asking this question.
>  I have a general doubt about XML Namespace Support by konqueror browser.
> There are many APIs to support Namespace in Konqueror (i.e. createElementNS
> etc.), but during parsing it doesnot seem to make use of that .

The reason why the HTMLTokenizer doesn't support XML namespaces is a simple
one. XML namespaces are an extension to XML and HTML is not an XML application.
Namespace are a concept that is simply not applicable to HTML.

In theory you should be able to use namespace in XHTML documents, but there are
some practical problems with that as well. Unless you send XHTML documents with
the correct content-type header the HTML parser will be used to parse the XHTML
documents (this is not a bug, but intended behavoir).

Type      Content-type                    Parser
HTML     text/html                         html_tokenizer
XHTML   text/html                         html_tokenizer
XHTML   application/xhtml+xml      xml_tokenizer

Niels
niels.leenheer at gmail.com