KIO and KFM and copy/move/delete operations

Rajko Albrecht ral at alwins-world.de
Mon Oct 17 11:01:07 BST 2005

Hi,
i'm the author of kdesvn a native subversion client for kde. Inside this
project I spoke with the authors of KIO::svn that I integrate both 'cause
them do similiar things.

So I found following problem:
When doing a copy or move (not simple rename via F2) on directory kfm does
following:

1. create new dir(s) inside target directory, the whole tree
2. copy each single file via a copy/move call to KIO

That is a ... problem to a logging KIO like KIO::svn. Why?
Each operation creates a revision on repository. I had the test case of an
image-gallery with more than 500 entries. eg.:
first I had asked for each operation for a commit-message. After 10 I canceld
and disabled asking for log. Tried again. Result: Revision count in
repository jumped up over more than 500 revision numbers.

May question now:
Is there any trick to let kfm do the job the KIO itself?

Eg:

 fol1 --- subfol1

       |- subfol2
            |- subfol3