Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Nov 25 21:24:11 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 20:42, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Although some uses are typical power user features I don't believe that
> > the simple act of clearing the edit box is a power user thing. Can't we
> > think of a way to improve usability rather than ditching the thing from a
> > default install?
>
> the fact that most people do without such a button just fine probably says
> it's not really necessary.

But if users don't know about a feature's existance they won't find it easily.
Which is fair enough for power user features. I still don't buy the argument
that this is strictly power user stuff though. Whenever I see people struggle
with the location bar in whatever browser just to clear it I always pity them
for not knowing or even having the clear button.

The people that struggle most are also the people that wouldn't find the
option to add the clear button. In my mind the solution would be to help them
'explore' the meaning of the button so they can start using it. Or at the
very least do a serious usability study whether the use case the button
fulfills is power user-only.

--
Martijn