Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 24 19:57:26 GMT 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:12:06AM -0500, George Staikos wrote:

> Here's a first-attempt mock-up at the Konqueror 4 web browser UI.  I'm sure
> there is lots of work to be done, but the key points:
>
> 1) URL bar is now permanent and unremovable

In my local settup, I have the clear/locationbar/go items moved to the
main toolbar, so that I only have one toolbar (got rid of by-me-unused
buttons to make some room). Is that still possible in your proposal?

> 2) Statusbar is permanent and unremovable
> 3) Almost all tools are moved to a removable toolbar that is optional
> 4) Bookmark bar can go beside this toolbar -> shrinks vertical footprint
> 5) Search is prominent
> 6) Security is displayed through the URL bar
> 7) No features had to be removed except the "Go" button, which is quite
> strange in concept I think.  No reason why it can't be added back

Usefull with mousing, click 'clear', paste w/ mouse, click 'go'.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind setting this up for myself.

> Issues:
> 1) Would like to have the throbber move to the menubar on the very right

What's a throbber?

> 2) The search combo could expand and shrink the URL combo when it has the
> focus and while as search is in progress, reverting when it loses focus.

I don't really care, as long as I'm able to remove this from my setup.

> 3) Menus need more reduction/refactoring
> 4) Could this work for file management too?
> 5) The [X] button beside location is too clickable
> 6) Do we need the Location: label?

No, atleast I've removed it.

Thanks for your proposal,

Koos