keditbookmarks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 30 16:28:28 BST 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 17:11, Daniel Teske wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there anyone with whom I could discuss the inner workings of
> keditbookmarks?

I wrote it initially, but lypanov changed quite a lot after that ;-)

> To me it seems like the merging of bookmark changes while in a modified
> state is seriously broken. And to me, the sanest solution would be to
> save() after every change in kedtibookmarks

Explicit save was my idea from the start, being too much of a koffice hacker :),
but IIRC merging-while-modified was added later on.

The problem with immediate saving is that it can take a bit of time,
especially since the change is broadcast-ed to all running konquerors
(and kicker, and kdesktop), which then have to reload the whole
bookmarks file -- or do they delay that until opening the menu?
in that case it would be OK I guess... (they would still "wake up" at the
DCOP signal, to mark the bookmarks collection as dirty, but if they don't
reload immediately that should be OK).

The problem is still that all running konquerors with a bookmark toolbar
will reload (hopefully only the toolbar cache file, to be checked...)
and possibly re-create the bookmark toolbar (that's where code should
be added, so that the re-creating is only done if the toolbar actually
changed; maybe checking the timestamp of the tbcache file? or some
serial number that you would add into it, to be safer).

If those things are fixed, then I wouldn't object to immediate-saving in keditbookmarks
(because this would indeed be a useability improvement, no need to save before
seeing your changes in a konq menu).