Konqueror and Java applets - not a subscriber

Stuart Robert Lindley stuart_lindley at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Mar 11 17:46:21 GMT 2005

Hi

I am I currently working on a little project which involves the use of a
Java applet for HTTP uploads. Now I'm using the XHTML strict DTD as I
have to use it, so for embedding I'm using the Object tag. Which brings
me to my problem, I keeping getting an error appearing saying Applet
Error. The page I'm using currently has two object tag definitions, one
which works with IE as Microsoft like to be different and the other
method which works with Mozilla and opera (although opera causes the
applet to crash, so I need a change of applet there I think as I have
two possible ones to use at the moment). So at the moment I have it
working with IE, Mozilla (win/Linux/mac).

I was wonder if Konqueror supports the object tag and if so does it
differ from Mozilla's implementation? Below is a copy of the code I'm
using, I know jupload works in konqueror using the applet tags but those
aren't part of XHTML 1.0 strict.

            <fieldset>
                <legend>Upload File</legend>
                <!--[if !IE]>  -->
                <object classid="java:JUpload.startup"
type="application/x-java-applet" archive="lib/jupload.jar" height="300"
width="650">
                    <param name="actionURL"
value="lib/upload.php?PHPSESSID=<?php echo $current_id; ?>" />
                    <param name="completeURL"
value="renderingmanager.php" />
                    <param name="backgroundColor" value="#FFFFFF" />
                    <param name="boxbgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />
                    <param name="useRecursivePaths" value="true" />
                    <param name="checkJavaVersion" value="true" />
                    <!--Custom File Filter is not enabled in this prototype.
                    <param name="customFileFilter" value="true" />
                    <param name="customFileFilterExtensions"
value="gif,jpg,jpeg,tga,mb,ma,psd,bmp" />
                    -->
                    <param name="mainSplitpaneLocation" value="425" />
                    <param name="showSystemIcons" value="true" />
                    <param name="removeBorders" value="true" />
                    <param name="showThumbnails" value="false" />
                    <param name="showFilePaths" value="true" />
                    <param name="tagName" value="myfile" />
                    <param name="maxFilesPerRequest" value="1" />
                 <!--<![endif]-->
                     <object
classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" height="300"
width="650">
                        <param name="code" value="JUpload.startup" />
                        <param name="archive" value="lib/jupload.jar" />
                        <param name="type"
value="application/x-java-applet" />
[...]
                    </object>
                </object>

Hopefully someone can help me out here as i'm not a big user of
konqueror and therefor I don't know much about what it does and doesn't
work with.

Regards

Stuart