multiline widget is terribly slow

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 01:46:38 BST 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 04:07, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > this starts to really bug me. The multiline widget in konqueror seems to
> > be really slow, typing text, removing text (via backspace) and selecting
> > via mouse. I think it's related to spell checking (or syntax checking)
> > capability of the widget, but I haven't found a way to disable these
> > things for the widget used in HTML forms in konqueror.
>
> Don't think - test it. You can disable spellcheck for currently open
> multiline widget via right click menu. Problem disappears then?

It solved the problem for me.  Odd that other programs using the spell checker
don't seem to have that problem.  I just wish I had the debug-foo to be able
to figure out what was going on during the time that Konqueror is eating CPU.

I can sometimes reproduce it on the edit apps thingy for kde-apps.org.

It may be worth looking into the implementation of the spell checker.  I know
that GPG with KMail had horrible problems when I first upgraded to Linux 2.6
because of the scheduler changes (apparently KMail was busy-waiting for GPG,
which was OK with Linux 2.4 since GPG would still run, but under 2.6 KMail
was the "interactive" process, and so the busy-wait-loop got all the CPU time
for awhile).

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne