KHTML Plugins

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 5 19:10:47 BST 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:13:16PM +0200, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. Juli 2005 18:26 schrieb Koos Vriezen:
> > > tell you that reloading a part takes ages on my system compared against
> > > opening an url in an existing instance (esp. if the ioslave is already
> > > running).
> >
> > Sounds a bit odd that creating an IO-slave takes the biggest time slice
> > of opening an URL. Then either you talk about a local url, have a very fast
> > network link, have a really slow computer, the document is very small or
> > we should start profiling this interface right away, no?
>
> I have a really slow computer. Loading any KDE c++ libraries/applications
> takes a big amount of time. That's why I'm picky about (re)loading stuff.

I can't find the link, but last week there was a story about a german
company having a really small&quiet 1GHz PC (probably VIA/TM/Geode or
so) and one could choose WXP or linux. However they withdrew the linux
option because it took 3min to load a KDE desktop (not to mention
Firefox or OO). Now that are really sad stories (and also makes me
wonder what stuf they laod, because at the office I do most of my work
on a 700MHz celeron thinkpad w/ debian/sarge and I'm not complaining)

Anyhow, I've never looked at the decisions that the KIO interface does.
But with a little test, I see that reloading a web page uses the same
kio-slaves, but opening the same page in another instance of konqueror,
all kio-slaves are doubled. That doesn't look optimal. However, opening
the page in a different tab (so same konqueror) does re-use them. So
that might also hold for plugin reloading.

Koos