Handling errors: DOMError, DOMObject, DOMLocator

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Feb 20 18:29:56 GMT 2005

Hello,

Many XML applications needs to do error reporting with the physical file as
background. E.g, they reach a certain point and need to report something that
was wrong on a certain line.

DOMError and DOMLocator exists, and after having read the DOM 3 core spec, I
still don't understand how I should use them. When I've found an error, how
do I create a DOMError, and how do I "pass it on" to the host code(somehow
the DOMImplementation since it should test it against DOMErrorHandler)?

I'm also wondering about the DOMObject member of DOMError, which currently is
commented out. AFAICT, the DOMObject is supposed to be a base class which
data specific to the DOMError object is cast to. How is this supposed to be
solved? Should all classes inherit from DOMObject? :)

In short: how do one do error reporting?

Cheers,

		Frans