Generated content: counters and quotes

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Feb 7 09:37:05 GMT 2005

On Saturday 29 January 2005 00:40, Germain Garand wrote:
> this looks just great...
> Only thing I find questionable in your patch is the added stuff in
> RenderObject, especially the added pointer  to a cache struct.
> IMO, it should be in at least RenderBox to avoid any unnecessary bloat.

Technically it is because any object that has a style can have a counter-node
attached. It also reduces the need for static_cast<RenderBox*>.

Also I am not sure RenderBox is generic enough, since any stupid type of
element can be counted. Imagine:
:first-letter { counter-increment: firstletter 1; }
#count { content: "Number of first letters: " counter(firstletter); }

> Also, "RenderGenerated" is rather confusing... the class is much less
> generic than the name would lead one to expect...

The plan is to make it more generic to move handling of generated content out
of RenderContainer. I am trying to find out what is wrong with attr()
content, and if it needs to be made dynamic it would be created here as well.
(attr is currently inserted as text during style-selection, but for some
reason the inserted text is empty)

> > and agree with me that CSS2 support is not a feature but the lack of it a
> > bug  :)
>
> Of course!
>
> Have a nice holiday time,
Thanks, I did :)