Fwd: I love Konq

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 17:05:10 GMT 2005

Subject: I love Konq
Date: Friday 30 December 2005 15:40
From: "Keila Jedrik" <trannygrrl at hotmail.com>
To: konq-e-owner at kde.org

Fellow Konquerors  ;)

I used to use Blackbox and Gnome, and only recently (after 4 years) gave KDE
another spin. I LOVE it. It's come a really long way from where it was
several years ago, and I think it knocks the socks off anything else.

The really beautiful part of the design is Konqueror. I can type in
sftp://server.domain.tld and it is seamless, it handles everything I throw
at it and it's just a beautiful design.

I know how difficult it would be to port to MS Windoze and still have all
those great features. I recall Apple created a complete compatibility layer
to use just the KHTML engine for Safari, let alone port the whole thing with
all the bells and whistles. But could you imagine the impact Konq could have
for Windows users? IE sucks, and Firefox is not all that stable (I've had
serious upgrade problems from 0.80 to 1.0 and from 1.0.7 to 1.5), but Konq
is truly world-class! I wish I could use it on all computer platforms!

One other suggestion: I know the advantages to being standards-based and not
displaying malformed HTML. I also see the advantage of just displaying bad
HTML as best you can and I wonder if an option could be considered that
would allow web developers to stick to strict standards but could toggle a
compatibility mode that would display sloppy code correctly as well; that
would help make squirly IE-optimized webpages like Yahoo mail work properly
even if clueless webmasters can't get their s|-|!7 together.

Just wanted to give a shout out and thank everyone on the Konq project for
contributing for this FREE and superior software!

--Ambyr