KHTML Paged Media - Status Report

Bert Bos bert at w3.org
Wed Aug 31 16:28:56 BST 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 19:02, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 August 2005 15:54, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > Is there a plan to offer the option to the user to browse sites as
> > a collection of pages instead of as a single long scroll?
> >
> > I think this new view mode would be useful both for web designers -
> > who could then find problems in their styles - and for end users -
> > who, given the above stated problems, could try it before printing
> > to check if the web pages would print well.
> >
> > Actually, a paged presentation could find more uses. For example,
> > an appropiately constructed web page could function be used for a
> > presentation with page oriented advancement, or it could be browsed
> > more traditionally otherwise.
>
> Its planned, but not fully working. I've tried separating the static
> and paged properties of HTML pages to make it possible to have
> interactive paged webpages in the browser.

The CSS specification requires that browsers that run in 'screen' mode
ignore page breaks and that browsers that run in 'print' mode ignore
certain interactive features (such as ':active' or ':hover' selectors).

If you want to run a browser in a mode that is both interactive and
paged, CSS offers 'handheld', 'projection' and 'tv'. Maybe you can
offer people the choice of normal (i.e., 'screen'), print preview and
TV modes.

Bert
  bert at w3.org                             2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93