XML, XSL, XSLT, XPath support?

Tobias Anton tobias.anton at esc-electronics.de
Sat Apr 9 17:44:32 BST 2005

Am Samstag, 9. April 2005 04:09 schrieb Frans Englich:
> On Friday 08 April 2005 22:09, Tobias Anton wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 8. April 2005 17:03 schrieb Nikolas Zimmermann:
> > > In current KDEs, all we support is: html, css, xml (+css),
> > > ecmascripting, (and unfinished: xpath; currently lives in kdenonbeta,
> > > built on khtml)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > do you know how unfinished xpath really is?
>
> It depends on usage scenario, I would say. How do you define the label
> "finished" with respect to "XPath"?

- parser & interpreter completeness: Are all language elements supported?
- stability: Is the library free of memory leaks and known crashes?
- efficiency: Can all XPath-statements be evaluated in polynomial time? (There
is a paper from TU Wien, stating that an algorithm exists to do that, and
they say they have it)
- usability: Is a convenient memory management (implicit sharing) provided?
Can the library be used from the outside without taking care for reference
counting or using pointers etc.?

I'd consider the project "finished" as soon as all these questions can be
answered with "yes".

But basically, I want to know whether the xpath library is more complete than
mine, because in that case, I would drop mine and join your development. I
don't care for the efficiency part, though.

-- Tobias