XPath [was: Re: XML, XSL, XSLT, XPath support?]

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Apr 7 17:32:29 BST 2005

Well, there is one area which /I/ think is reasonable to consider for
khtml/current-dom integration: XPath.

I haven't looked at the code so its condition and completeness is to me
undefined(well, somewhere around beta), but it nevertheless compiles fine
against HEAD, and khtml has traversal/range which currently isn't ported to
KDOM. But I am nevertheless skeptical, because, while it may be relatively
easy, I don't see much of a gain.

AFAICT, XPath is relevant in two ways: 1) As functionality available via a W3C
DOM interface for ECMAScripts in KHTML; and 2) As helper technology for XML
technologies(and those are/will be KDOM based, and in turn be used by
Konqueror/KHTML).

First of all, there exists no stable DOM interface for XPath. A year ago a
draft was released which stepped down from Last Call status. According to
Philippe Le Hegaret, W3C's DOM Activity Lead, its completition will now be
pushed by the SVG working group. Robin Berjon, I think on the SVG WG, says it
will be completed  sometime after SVG Tiny 1.2 is finished, and likely with
changes compared to currrent draft(perhaps support for extension functions).
So, from a interopability perspective, we would be pushing a
non-recommendation XPath-something in KHTML. I don't think that's a good
idea.

The second use is as helper technology, and that only applies for KDOM.

That's why I like fleshing in KDOM. There's no stability constraints or BC
concerns. No sad reality. There's developer freedom, things can take the time
it needs, and be done in the Right Way.

Cheers,

		Frans