further thoughts on file manager vs web browser

Stephan Binner binner at kde.org
Sun Sep 26 14:18:10 BST 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 19:26, Aaron Seigo wrote:

> after reading Waldo's recommendation to split file manager and web browser

When now reading that you're seriously considering that, I have to ask: You
want to make this "split of file manager and web browser" optional, right?

I want to continue to use file and web browsing within one Konqueror window,
either in the same main view or besides each other in split views or tabs.

I do not want more than one Konqueror window/taskbar entry. I do not want
spatial-like new windows popping up when entering an URL or following links.

I want to keep my one bookmark file with both file browsing and web urls.

Of course I do think that the current concept can be improved, e.g. kparts
telling what kcms shall appear within the "Configure Konqueror..." dialog:
If you can only configure khtml shortcuts and khtml related toolbars when
a khtml kpart is active, why should other khtml configs always been shown?
The same applies to file browsing-only related settings vice-versa.

I also agree that some menus should more adapt to the current active part
(as "View" & "Tools" do). Most prominent example: Disabled items in "Edit".

Concerning the Home URL: Introduce "home url categories" (even if only two)
within the shell and let kparts specify if they want to belong to one or
stay neutral. khtml will use 'Web Home'. The kparts browsing files will use
'Filebrowsing Home'. A pdf kpart will be neutral which will lead to usage
of the home category which the last used kpart specifying one said. The
shell has one setting for all categories (default $HOME). Profiles can
specify none, one (random) or all home urls with different values.

About taskbar grouping not being able to differ between file browsing and
web browsing Konqueror windows: Sooner or later we will imo create an ex-
tension being able to deal with this (and likely also to display documents
of MDI apps as a (sub-)group and being able to switch to a document?).

I think that were already the major points being said as arguments for a
split. The others arguments seem to be weak or artificial to me. :-)

Bye,
   Steve (give me a few days to think and I will change my mind - not ;)