Is it okay to spoof navigator.product by default?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Sep 24 11:25:21 BST 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 01:25, Germain Garand wrote:
> Le Mercredi 22 Septembre 2004 09:30, Allan Sandfeld Jensen a écrit :
> > I am guessing that Konqueror 3.2 and 3.3 are just too strict and
> > ignores the code as being wrong.
>
> Please don't guess. It's actually the other way around.
> The QuickMenu version you are referring to has a browser identification
> script that wasn't working in 3.1 because of an evil construct that made
> the JS interpreter choke. It now unfortunately works and does a wonderful
> job of identifying us as ns4, thus spitting totally obsolete proprietary
> HTML code. Nothing we can do about it.

Ok, thanks for the explaination. I was really starting to be bafled.

Actually there are a few things we can do. I've already suggested what Safari
does, but there are a few other options.

First, even if we do not support layers, we can parse enough of a layer tag to
get the hidden attribute. If it is hidden ignore all the content of the tag,
otherwise ignore the tag. I think this will prevent all the crap printed at
the top of the page.

The other option is an application specific workaround.  I've already added
code in my version of khtml to rewrite script-requests for dqm_ns.js to
dqm_ns6.js if made from a script called dqm_script.js. That works for most of
these sites, and does not intervene with newer versions that properly detects
konqueror and loads dqm_konq.js.

`Allan