PATCH - improvement for Negotiate authentication

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri Sep 24 00:29:00 BST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 14:31, Karsten Künne wrote:

> Regarding HTTP authentication we should have all the bases covered now. A
> couple things still remain. First, should the order in which kio_http tries
> authentication methods be configurable? It's currently hardcoded with
> "NTLM" trumps "Negotiate" which is preferred over "Digest" which is
> preferred over "Basic". But bothering the user with that stuff might not be
> a good idea on the other hand because most users probably don't know what
> this is all about and the current order works well in almost all cases.

IMHO nothing should trump "Digest" if multiple authentication schemes are
returned by the server. However, if a server sends "Negotiate" and we support
that mechanism, then we should negotiate with it and use whatever it
suggests. In the absence of "Negotiate" the order of preference should IMHO
be kept "Digest", "NTLM" and finally "Basic".

--
Regards,
Dawit A.