klocaldomainurifilterhelper (Re: Ctrl+O in Konq)

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri Sep 24 00:24:08 BST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 11:13, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Still, I would like to make a proposal.
>
> The purpose of the local domain URI filter helper app -- which, by the way,
> couldn't have a longer name -- was initially to test if a domain name had
> an address. Since the advent of IPv6, the test no longer qualified because
> it worked only for IPv4. So I made my modifications that, instead of
> testing for an address, tested for existence of the name.
>
> So when we want to test for X, we go ahead and test for Y. That's bound to
> have wrong results sometimes.
>
> What I propose is that we scrap klocaldomainurifilterhelper and make the
> lookup inside the program calling klocaldomainurifilterhelper instead. With
> true asynchronous lookups we have now with KResolver, there's no more
> blocking involved than waiting for an external process. And it has the
> benefit of testing exactly what we need. With one less forking.

Would be great if you can do that... :)

> And, btw, sometime recently, typing "intranet/webmail" has changed from
> getting us to "http://intranet/webmail", to resulting in an error
> (malformed URL).

That is because the localdomainuri filter is now responsible for filtering
short hostnames such as "intranet". Unfortunately, it does not properly
seprate out the path information before it checks so it erroneously returns
a cannot filter message. I will fix that soon.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.